2.19.2013

Muffins


Well, I am once again on a wheat-free, dairy-free diet. When I first thought about it, I wanted to groan... cheese is one of my all-time favorite foods, and bread is just too good! Right now I am just refusing to think about dairy products and thankfully I like experimenting in the kitchen. I believe the Lord will help me get past missing the things I shouldn't be eating and enjoy making new recipes. I adapted the muffin recipe from the back of the oat bran cereal box for breakfast this morning and they turned out really good!

Oat Bran Pear Sauce Muffins
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups Hodgson Mill oat bran cereal
1 1/2 cups rye flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup pear sauce, chilled
1/4 cup oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line 15 muffin cups with paper liners or grease muffin cups. Blend together dry ingredients. Lightly beat the eggs and add them to the dry ingredients along with pear sauce and oil. Mix until well blended. Spoon better into muffin cups. Let stand 10 minutes. 
Bake 13-15 minutes or until golden brown. 
Yield: 15 muffins

*Alterations for personal preference:
You can use regular unbleached white flour for these muffins if you'd rather.
Applesauce is just as good as pear! I used homemade pear sauce because that's what we had on hand.

2 comments:

  1. So are you going just wheat free or totally gluten free? Because rye has gluten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I thought it was going to be able to be just wheat, but no all gluten. Too bad, because those were really good! ;)

    ReplyDelete